Aighton, Bailey and Chaigley
AIGHTON, one of three hamlets forming a township in the parish of Mitton, Lancashire. It lies near Hodder river, under Longridge fell, 3½ miles NNW of Whalley r. station, and 5 WSW of Clitheroe. It contains cotton factories, a workhouse, and the Roman Catholic college of Stonyhurst. The other hamlets of the township are Bailey and Chaighley. Acres in the three, 5,780. Real property, £6,726. Pop., 1,500. Houses, 244.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- ., Walker Fold, Independent
- St John, Longridge Rd, Hurst Green, Church of England
- St Joseph, Whalley Road, Hurst Green, Roman Catholic
- St Peter, ., Stonyhurst, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Aighton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Ribble Valley. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Aighton, Bailey and Chaigley to another place. Great Mitton in the West Riding of Yorkshire. maps of Aighton and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD690405 (Lat/Lon: 53.859789, -2.472827), Aighton which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- Mario (Lancashire Council maps, less than historic county)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.