AINTREE, a township in Sephton parish, Lancashire; on the Alt river and the Leeds canal, 6 miles NNE of Liverpool. It has a post office under Liverpool, a station on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, and an Episcopalian chapel; and it contains, with a grand stand built in 1830, a race-course, 1½ mile round, where the Liverpool races are run in February and July. Acres, 825. Pop., 300. Houses, 52.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)