ARDWICK, a township, three chapelries, and a subdistrict in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township is suburban to Manchester city, on the SE; and lies within the borough boundaries. Acres, 470. Real property, £57,895. Pop., 21,757. Houses, 4,414. The Manchester and Sheffield railway has a station here, ¾ of a mile from the terminus; joins here the Manchester and Birmingham railway near Chancery lane; and is carried here on a succession of immense viaducts. The chapelries are Ardwick - St. Thomas, Ardwick St. Silas, and Ardwick St. Matthew; and were constituted in respectively 1838, 1844, and 1868. Pop. of A. St. T., 10,147. Houses, 2,029. Pop. of A. St. S., 10,375. Houses, 2,143. The livings are rectories in the diocese of Manchester. Value of St. E. and St. S., each £300; of St. M., not reported. Patrons of St. T., the Dean and Chapter of Manchester, of St. S. and St. M., Trustees. The subdistrict includes also four other townships, and is in Chorlton district. Acres, 4,031. Pop., 47,752. Houses, 9,322.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Emmanuel, Garibaldi St, Baptist
- Tipping St, Congregational
- Indigo St, Pin Mill Brow, Independent
- St Benedict, Bennett Street, Church of England
- St Jerome, Baden Street, Church of England
- St Matthew, Hyde Road, Church of England
- St Silas, Ashton Old Road, Church of England
- St Thomas, Ardwick Green, Church of England
- The Good Shepherd Church of the Resurrection, Ranworth Close, Church of England
- Grey St, Primitive Methodist
- Higher Ardwick, Primitive Methodist
- Hyde Rd, Primitive Methodist
- Ogden St, Primitive Methodist
- Hyde Rd, United Methodist Free Church
- Higher Ardwick, Welsh Calvinist Methodist
- Hyde Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- School Mission, Chancery Lane, Wesleyan Methodist
- School Mission, Rylance St, Wesleyan Methodist
- Dolphin St , Evangelical Church of the Lamb Ministries
- Longsight Spiritualist Hall, Grey St, Spiritualist
- Union Street, Presbyterian
- St Aloysius, Palfrey Place, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Ardwick area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Manchester. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Ardwick to another place. Manchester. Ardwick in the 19th century. maps of Ardwick and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ857973 (Lat/Lon: 53.472227, -2.216912), Ardwick which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.