ARDWICK, a township, three chapelries, and a subdistrict in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township is suburban to Manchester city, on the SE; and lies within the borough boundaries. Acres, 470. Real property, £57,895. Pop., 21,757. Houses, 4,414. The Manchester and Sheffield railway has a station here, ¾ of a mile from the terminus; joins here the Manchester and Birmingham railway near Chancery lane; and is carried here on a succession of immense viaducts. The chapelries are Ardwick - St. Thomas, Ardwick St. Silas, and Ardwick St. Matthew; and were constituted in respectively 1838, 1844, and 1868. Pop. of A. St. T., 10,147. Houses, 2,029. Pop. of A. St. S., 10,375. Houses, 2,143. The livings are rectories in the diocese of Manchester. Value of St. E. and St. S., each £300; of St. M., not reported. Patrons of St. T., the Dean and Chapter of Manchester, of St. S. and St. M., Trustees. The subdistrict includes also four other townships, and is in Chorlton district. Acres, 4,031. Pop., 47,752. Houses, 9,322.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Emmanuel, Garibaldi St, Baptist
- St Benedict, Bennett Street, Church of England
- St Jerome, Baden Street, Church of England
- St Matthew, Hyde Road, Church of England
- St Silas, Ashton Old Road, Church of England
- St Thomas, Ardwick Green, Church of England
- The Good Shepherd Church of the Resurrection, Ranworth Close, Church of England
- Tipping St, Congregational
- Dolphin St, Evangelical Church of the Lamb Ministries
- Indigo St, Pin Mill Brow, Independent
- Union Street, Presbyterian
- Grey St, Primitive Methodist
- Higher Ardwick, Primitive Methodist
- Hyde Rd, Primitive Methodist
- Ogden St, Primitive Methodist
- St Aloysius, Palfrey Place, Roman Catholic
- Longsight Spiritualist Hall, Grey St, Spiritualist
- Hyde Rd, United Methodist Free Church
- Higher Ardwick, Welsh Calvinist Methodist
- Hyde Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- School Mission, Chancery Lane, Wesleyan Methodist
- School Mission, Rylance St, Wesleyan Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Ardwick area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.Manchester. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Ardwick to another place. Manchester. Ardwick in the 19th century. maps of Ardwick and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ857973 (Lat/Lon: 53.472227, -2.216912), Ardwick which are provided by:
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview