Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
ARDWICK, a township, three chapelries, and a subdistrict in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township is suburban to Manchester city, on the SE; and lies within the borough boundaries. Acres, 470. Real property, £57,895. Pop., 21,757. Houses, 4,414. The Manchester and Sheffield railway has a station here, ¾ of a mile from the terminus; joins here the Manchester and Birmingham railway near Chancery lane; and is carried here on a succession of immense viaducts. The chapelries are Ardwick - St. Thomas, Ardwick St. Silas, and Ardwick St. Matthew; and were constituted in respectively 1838, 1844, and 1868. Pop. of A. St. T., 10,147. Houses, 2,029. Pop. of A. St. S., 10,375. Houses, 2,143. The livings are rectories in the diocese of Manchester. Value of St. E. and St. S., each £300; of St. M., not reported. Patrons of St. T., the Dean and Chapter of Manchester, of St. S. and St. M., Trustees. The subdistrict includes also four other townships, and is in Chorlton district. Acres, 4,031. Pop., 47,752. Houses, 9,322.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Manchester central library.
- Emmanuel, Garibaldi St, Baptist
- Tipping St, Congregational
- Indigo St, Pin Mill Brow, Independent
- St Benedict, Bennett Street, Church of England
- St Jerome, Baden Street, Church of England
- St Matthew, Hyde Road, Church of England
- St Silas, Ashton Old Road, Church of England
- St Thomas, Ardwick Green, Church of England
- The Good Shepherd Church of the Resurrection, Ranworth Close, Church of England
- Grey St, Primitive Methodist
- Higher Ardwick, Primitive Methodist
- Hyde Rd, Primitive Methodist
- Ogden St, Primitive Methodist
- Hyde Rd, United Methodist Free Church
- Higher Ardwick, Welsh Calvinist Methodist
- Hyde Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- School Mission, Chancery Lane, Wesleyan Methodist
- School Mission, Rylance St, Wesleyan Methodist
- Dolphin St , Evangelical Church of the Lamb Ministries
- Longsight Spiritualist Hall, Grey St, Spiritualist
- Union Street, Presbyterian
- St Aloysius, Palfrey Place, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Ardwick area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
The Register Office covering the Ardwick area is Manchester.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Ardwick which are provided by:
In 1835 Ardwick was a township in the parish of Manchester.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ857973 (Lat/Lon: 53.472227, -2.216912), Ardwick which are provided by: