Open a form to report problems or contribute information
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches themselves. For current information you will need to contact them directly.
Ardwick Cemetery, Devonshire St, Ardwick
Ardwick Cemetery was opened in 1838 and closed in 1950. The site of the cemetery is now a playing field. There is a plaque which reads:
CITY OF MANCHESTER EDUCATION COMMITTEE
NICHOLLS FIELD WAS OPENED ON 16TH JUNE 1966 by SIR PHILIP B. DINGLE C.B.E. LL.D TOWN CLERK OF MANCHESTER 1944 - 1966
The field was formerly ARDWICK CEMETERY where between 1838 and 1950 the remains of over 80,000 people were interred including JOHN DALTON, scientist 1766 - 1844. SIR THOMAS POTTER, first MAYOR of MANCHESTER 1773 - 1845. ERNEST JONES, the Chartist 1819 - 1869. BUGLAR ROBERT HAWTHORNE 52ND LIGHT INFANTRY who won the VICTORIA CROSS at DELHI in 1857. And many others of all walks of life who served GOD and the CITY in their day and generation.
Manchester Central Library holds the burial and grave receipts for Ardwick Cemetery. The burial receipts include varying amounts of information about burials depending on when they were prepared. Each record pertains to a specific burial and does not refer to anyone else who might be in the grave/vault. However, the materials held at Manchester also include a listing of owners of graves/vaults. In addition, there are updated lists that show the grave receipt numbers of persons buried in each of the graves/vaults.
They also hold extracts from the tombstone inscriptions made before the cemetery was closed. The information shown is simply:
Grave No., Person's name, date of death, and age at death.
In the Public Record Office RG37/94 is the series covering Ardwick Cemetery. The Family History Library Catalog describes the record -- Item 9 on film 1818101 -- as follows: Microfilm of original records at the Public Record Office, Surrey, England. Contains grave number, name, date of birth or age at death, date of death, and relevant particulars. Dates range, 1750-1963. Includes some monumental inscriptions. PRO no. RG/37/94.
It was located at SJ8570097100 (Lat/Lon 53.470438,-2.216892). You can see this on maps provided by: