Ardwick Cemetery

Ardwick Cemetery,
Devonshire St,
Ardwick
Lancashire

Click pictures to enlarge

church

History

Ardwick Cemetery was opened in 1838 and closed in 1950. The site of the cemetery is now a playing field. There is a plaque which reads:
CITY OF MANCHESTER EDUCATION COMMITTEE

NICHOLLS FIELD WAS OPENED ON 16TH JUNE 1966
by
SIR PHILIP B. DINGLE C.B.E. LL.D
TOWN CLERK OF MANCHESTER 1944 - 1966

The field was formerly ARDWICK CEMETERY where between 1838
and 1950 the remains of over 80,000 people were interred including
JOHN DALTON, scientist 1766 - 1844. SIR THOMAS POTTER, first MAYOR
of MANCHESTER 1773 - 1845. ERNEST JONES, the Chartist 1819 - 1869.
BUGLAR ROBERT HAWTHORNE 52ND LIGHT INFANTRY who won the VICTORIA
CROSS at DELHI in 1857. And many others of all walks of life who served
GOD and the CITY in their day and generation.

Councillor F. HATTON J.P. CHAIRMAN, EDUCATION COMMITTEE
J.K.ELLIOT, CHIEF EDUCATION OFFICER

Records

Manchester Central Library holds the burial and grave receipts for Ardwick Cemetery. The burial receipts include varying amounts of information about burials depending on when they were prepared. Each record pertains to a specific burial and does not refer to anyone else who might be in the grave/vault. However, the materials held at Manchester also include a listing of owners of graves/vaults. In addition, there are updated lists that show the grave receipt numbers of persons buried in each of the graves/vaults.

They also hold extracts from the tombstone inscriptions made before the cemetery was closed. The information shown is simply:

Grave No., Person's name, date of death, and age at death.

In the Public Record Office RG37/94 is the series covering Ardwick Cemetery. The Family History Library Catalog describes the record -- Item 9 on film 1818101 -- as follows: Microfilm of original records at the Public Record Office, Surrey, England. Contains grave number, name, date of birth or age at death, date of death, and relevant particulars. Dates range, 1750-1963. Includes some monumental inscriptions. PRO no. RG/37/94.

 

124

Maps

The church was located at OS grid reference SJ8570097100 (Lat/Lon 53.470430,-2.216903). You can see this on maps provided by:

Help required

The information provided has been obtained from a number of sources and although every effort is made to avoid errors, just a few may be present. So if there are any please let us know. [Use the link at the bottom of this page].

We do not currently have the following information, and if you can provide it then please do so: