ASHWORTH, a township-chapelry in Middleton parish, Lancashire; on an affluent of the river Roch, 3 miles NE by E of Bury r. station. Post Town, Rochdale. Acres, 1,022. Real property, £2,143. Pop., 233. Houses, 45. The property is all held by one proprietor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £119. Patron, Lord Egerton. The church is good.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)