Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
ASPULL, a township and a subdistrict in Wigan district, Lancashire. The township is in Wigan-parish, 3 miles NE of Wigan; and has a post office, of the name of Aspull-Moor, under Wigan. Acres, 1,879. Real property, £27,184; of which £19,863 are in mines. Pop., 4,290. Houses, 783. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in collieries and cotton mills. There are a school-church, Independent, Wesleyan, and Roman Catholic chapels, and four public schools. The subdistrict comprises three townships. Pop., 8,372. Houses, 1,534.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Wigan
- St Elizabeth of Hungary, Bolton Rd, Church of England
- St John the Baptist, Kirkless Street, New Springs, Church of England
- St Margaret, Hall Lane, Pennington Green, Church of England
- Independent Methodist
- Harold St, Primitive Methodist
- Wigan Rd, New Springs, Primitive Methodist
- Cale Lane, New Springs, Wesleyan Methodist
- Wigan Rd, Aspull Common, Wesleyan Methodist
- Holy Family, Cale Lane, New Springs, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Aspull area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Aspull which are provided by:
In 1835 Aspull was a township in the parish of Wigan
You can see the administrative areas
in which Aspull has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD620086 (Lat/Lon: 53.572612, -2.575327), Aspull which are provided by: