AUGHTON, a parish and a subdistrict in the district of Ormskirk, Lancashire. The parish lies on a branch of the river Alt, and on the Liverpool and Preston railway, at Town-Green station, near the Liverpool and Leeds canal, 2½ miles SSW of Ormskirk. It has a post office under Ormskirk. Acres, 4,462. Real property, £13,804. Pop., 1,870. Houses, 360. The property is much sub-divided. Aughton Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £830. Patron, J. P. Tempest, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1867, at a cost of £6,000. There is a Roman Catholic chapel. The subdistrict includes also two chapelries. Acres, 8,530. Pop., 3,862. Houses, 708.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Long Lane, Aughton Park, Baptist
- Christ Church, Holborn Hill, Church of England
- St Michael, Church Lane, Church of England
- St Mary, Prescot Rd, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Aughton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.West Lancashire
You can see pictures of Aughton which are provided by:gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Aughton to another place. maps of Aughton and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD392055 (Lat/Lon: 53.542600, -2.918994), Aughton which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.