"BARROWFORD, a township and a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the East Lancashire railway, 2 miles W of Colne; and has a post office under Burnley. Acres, 1,540. Real property, £7,754. Pop., 2,880. Houses, 612. The property is much subdivided. Many of the inhabitants are employed in cotton manufactories. The chapelry was constituted in 1843; and bears the name of Barrowford-Colne, or Colne-Barrowford. Pop., 2,796 Houses, 591. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church is recent; and there are four dissenting chapels."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)