Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
BARROWFORD, a township and a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the East Lancashire railway, 2 miles W of Colne; and has a post office under Burnley. Acres, 1,540. Real property, £7,754. Pop., 2,880. Houses, 612. The property is much subdivided. Many of the inhabitants are employed in cotton manufactories. The chapelry was constituted in 1843; and bears the name of Barrowford-Colne, or Colne-Barrowford. Pop., 2,796 Houses, 591. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church is recent; and there are four dissenting chapels.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Nelson
- Gisburn Rd, Congregational
- Ingham St, Congregational
- St Thomas, Wheatley Lane Road, Church of England
- Zion, Church St, Primitive Methodist
- Higherford, Gisburn Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- Trinity, Scotland Rd, Newbridge, Wesleyan Methodist
- Ebenezer, Gisburn Rd, Blacko, Wesleyan Methodist/Independent Methodist
- Pendle Community Church, Scotland Rd, Newbridge, Assembly of God
- St Peter and St Paul, Gisburn Rd, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Barrowford area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
You can see pictures of Barrowford which are provided by:
In 1835 Barrowford Booth was a township in the parish of Whalley
You can see the administrative areas
in which Barrowford has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD855391 (Lat/Lon: 53.847932, -2.221889), Barrowford which are provided by: