The church does not have a graveyard.
The original Particular Baptist Church opened 1873, the congregation having previously met in private houses and at the Preston Street schoolroom. Destroyed by bombing 16 April 1941 (the minister and one other person being killed). The new church at the junction of Abbey Road and Park Drive opened in 1958.
Baptist Chapel.-In the early days of Barrow, the mere handful of Baptists then living in the town, rather than lose their individuality, used to meet for worship in a private house. As the town increased, so did the little knot of worshippers, and in 1865 they were formed into a church. Services were then held in Preston Street School, but in 1873 a plot of land facing Abbey Road was given by the Duke of Devonshire, and the erection of the present chapel commenced, In September of the same year the opening services were held, and the Rev. Jas. Hughes appointed to the pastorate. The entire cost of the building was £2,700, towards which the late Nathaniel Caine, Esq., contributed the handsome sum of £500. The building is of brick, relieved by bands of a lighter shade, and of the plain Gothic style. On one side of the south end rises a small tower, terminating in a slated spire. All the interior fittings are of pitch pine, varnished, and present a comfortable and clean appearance. In 1877 galleries were added, at a cost of £640, which increased the accommodation to 920. In the same year also new Sunday Schools were built.
from Mannex's directory of Furness & Cartmel, 1882
Dissension in the new Abbey Road Baptist Church in Barrow led to the appearance of a breakaway group around August 1882 which formed a separate meeting in the upper room at the Co-operative Buildings, Abbey Road [this split lasted until September 1883]. About June 1883 there was a second secession, and 65 members of the parent church followed the Rev. James Hughes [the original minister], who held services first in the original meeting room in Paradise Street and afterwards in the Central Hall, Dalkeith Street, where he had good congregations. The schism lasted for several years, but was apparently healed by mid 1890s.
Central Hall, Dalkeith Street was a public hall erected by private enterprise in 1870s and was used additionally by many other organisations. The first Abbey Road church was located The Dalkeith St church was located
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches themselves.
The church is located at OS grid reference SD2038070098 (Lat/Lon 54.120563,-3.219691). You can see this on maps provided by: