BARTON, a township in Preston parish, and a chapelry in Preston, Kirkham, Lancaster, and Garstang parishes, Lancashire. The township has a station on the Northwestern railway, 5½ miles N-of Preston. Acres, 2,536. Real property, £3,782. Pop., 343. Houses, 67. Barton Hall and Barton Lodge are within the limits. The chapelry was constituted in 1850; and its Post Town is Preston. Pop., 886. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £120.* Patron, R. Jacson, Esq., and G. Marton, Esq.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)