BILLINGE, a village, two townships, and a chapelry in Wigan parish, Lancashire. The village stands 2 miles S of Orrel r. station, and 4½ SW by W of Wigan; and has a post office under Wigan. The townships are called Billinge-Chapel-End and Billinge-Higher-End. Acres of B.-Chapel-End, 1,129. Real-property, £11,309; of which £7,580 are in mines. Pop., 2,015. Houses, 389. Acres of B.-Higher-End, 1,549. Real property, £5,616; of which £2,000 are in mines, and £641 in quarries. Pop., 1,051. Houses, 204. Billinge Hill here is 633 feet high; has a beacon on the top; and commands a view on one side to Ingleborough, on another to the Welsh mountains. Some of the inhabitants are employed in cotton-mills. The chapelry consists of the two townships; and is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £403.* Patron, the Rector of Wigan. The church is good. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, a national school, and charities £117.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- St Aidan, Main St, Church of England
- Primitive Methodist
- Crank Road, Wesleyan Methodist
- St Mary, Birchley, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Billinge area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
The registers of the parish church, St Aidan, containing Baptisms 1696-1812, Marr 1699-1810 and Burials 1699-1812 have been published by the Lancashire Parish Register Society in volume 123 of their publications.
A marriage index for 1813-1826 and for 1830-1836 (from BTs) is available from the LFH&HS.Wigan and Leigh. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Billinge to another place. Wigan. maps of Billinge and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD532005 (Lat/Lon: 53.499097, -2.706995), Billinge which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.