BIRKDALE, a township-chapelry in North Meols parish, Lancashire; on the coast, and on the Southport railway, 1½ mile S of Southport. It has a r. station, several streets, good residences, and boarding-houses; and, in 1869, had greatly increased in pop., and was about to have a sewerage-system and public gardens. Post Town, Southport. Acres, 5,670; of which 3,435 are water. Pop. in 1861, 1,286. Houses, 237. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £380.* Patrons, 'Trustees. The church is recent, and has a spire.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Aughton Rd, Bethesda
- St John, Liverpool Rd, Church of England, Ainsdale
- St James, Lulworth Rd, Church of England
- St John, St John's Rd, Church of England
- St Mary's Mission, Carr Lane, Church of England
- St Peter, St Peter's Rd, Church of England
- Station Road, Congregational, Ainsdale
- Grosvenor Rd, Congregational
- Boundary St, Evangelical
- Sacred Heart, Liverpool Rd, Roman Catholic, Ainsdale
- Our Lady of Lourdes, Grantham Rd, Roman Catholic
- Our Lady of Lourdes, Waterloo Road, Roman Catholic
- St Joseph, York Rd, Roman Catholic
- St Teresa, Everton Rd, Roman Catholic
- Chatham Rd, United Methodist Free Church
- Boundary Rd, United Reformed
- Liverpool Rd, Wesleyan Methodist, Ainsdale
- Liverpool Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- Wesley, Upper Aughton Rd / Kent Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Birkdale area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.Sefton North. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Birkdale to another place. North Meols. maps of Birkdale and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD332155 (Lat/Lon: 53.631740, -3.011668), Birkdale which are provided by:
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview