BIRKDALE, a township-chapelry in North Meols parish, Lancashire; on the coast, and on the Southport railway, 1½ mile S of Southport. It has a r. station, several streets, good residences, and boarding-houses; and, in 1869, had greatly increased in pop., and was about to have a sewerage-system and public gardens. Post Town, Southport. Acres, 5,670; of which 3,435 are water. Pop. in 1861, 1,286. Houses, 237. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £380.* Patrons, 'Trustees. The church is recent, and has a spire.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Grosvenor Rd, Congregational
- Station Road, Ainsdale, Congregational
- Boundary Rd , United Reformed
- St James, Lulworth Rd, Church of England
- St John, Liverpool Rd, Ainsdale, Church of England
- St John, St John's Rd, Church of England
- St Mary's Mission, Carr Lane, Church of England
- St Peter, St Peter's Rd, Church of England
- Chatham Rd, United Methodist Free Church
- Liverpool Rd, Ainsdale, Wesleyan Methodist
- Liverpool Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- Wesley, Upper Aughton Rd / Kent Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- Aughton Rd, Bethesda
- Boundary St, Evangelical
- Our Lady of Lourdes , Grantham Rd, Roman Catholic
- Our Lady of Lourdes , Waterloo Road , Roman Catholic
- Sacred Heart, Liverpool Rd, Ainsdale, Roman Catholic
- St Joseph, York Rd, Roman Catholic
- St Teresa, Everton Rd, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Birkdale area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Sefton North. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Birkdale to another place. North Meols. maps of Birkdale and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD332155 (Lat/Lon: 53.631740, -3.011668), Birkdale which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- Mario (Lancashire Council maps, less than historic county)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.