Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
BIRKDALE, a township-chapelry in North Meols parish, Lancashire; on the coast, and on the Southport railway, 1½ mile S of Southport. It has a r. station, several streets, good residences, and boarding-houses; and, in 1869, had greatly increased in pop., and was about to have a sewerage-system and public gardens. Post Town, Southport. Acres, 5,670; of which 3,435 are water. Pop. in 1861, 1,286. Houses, 237. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £380.* Patrons, 'Trustees. The church is recent, and has a spire.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Ormskirk
- Grosvenor Rd, Congregational
- Station Road, Ainsdale, Congregational
- Boundary Rd , United Reformed
- St James, Lulworth Rd, Church of England
- St John, Liverpool Rd, Ainsdale, Church of England
- St John, St John's Rd, Church of England
- St Mary's Mission, Carr Lane, Church of England
- St Peter, St Peter's Rd, Church of England
- Chatham Rd, United Methodist Free Church
- Liverpool Rd, Ainsdale, Wesleyan Methodist
- Liverpool Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- Wesley, Upper Aughton Rd / Kent Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- Aughton Rd, Bethesda
- Boundary St, Evangelical
- Our Lady of Lourdes , Grantham Rd, Roman Catholic
- Our Lady of Lourdes , Waterloo Road , Roman Catholic
- Sacred Heart, Liverpool Rd, Ainsdale, Roman Catholic
- St Joseph, York Rd, Roman Catholic
- St Teresa, Everton Rd, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Birkdale area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
The Register Office covering the Birkdale area is Sefton North
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Birkdale which are provided by:
In 1835 Birkdale was a township in the parish of North Meols
You can see the administrative areas
in which Birkdale has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD332155 (Lat/Lon: 53.631740, -3.011668), Birkdale which are provided by: