BIRKDALE, a township-chapelry in North Meols parish, Lancashire; on the coast, and on the Southport railway, 1½ mile S of Southport. It has a r. station, several streets, good residences, and boarding-houses; and, in 1869, had greatly increased in pop., and was about to have a sewerage-system and public gardens. Post Town, Southport. Acres, 5,670; of which 3,435 are water. Pop. in 1861, 1,286. Houses, 237. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £380.* Patrons, 'Trustees. The church is recent, and has a spire.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)