The church has/had a graveyard.
It was founded in 1777 and closed before 1975.
The first Chapel Street Church was built in a field called Ryecroft adjoining the Bull Meadow (now Freckleton St).The land belonged to John Sudell(uncle of Henry Sudell, who built Woodfold Hall), and he received £6 a year groundrent. In 1872 it was damaged by fire and had to be demolished and rebuilt. The church members celebrated the Centenary of the second church in 1974 and the church closed the following year. Several of the deacons' minute books, a year book and a Bazaar book have been deposited in the Museum. Sadly, all that remains of the church is the spire.
The Independent churches were ones in which each congregation was autonomous, upholding the principles of independence. In the 19th century they became known as Congregational.
In 1972 the Congregational church joined with the English Presbyterian church to become the United Reformed Church.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches themselves.