Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
BLACKLEY, a village, two chapelries, and a subdistrict, in Manchester parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Irk, near the Manchester and Leeds railway, 3 miles N of Manchester; and has a post office under Manchester, and a police station. The chapelries are B. and B.-St. Andrew. Acres, 1,764. Real property, £10,955. Pop., 4,112. Houses, 838. The property is subdivided. Many of the inhabitants are employed in cotton manufactures and in extensive dye-works. The livings are rectories. Value of B., £182.* B. church was rebuilt in 1835; and is in the early English style, with a fine tower. St. A. church was built in 1866. There are two Wesleyan chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, a mechanics' institution, a Church institute, public schools, and a reformatory. The subdistrict includes also Harpurhey township.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Manchester
- Restoration, Hopkinson Rd, Higher Blackley, Baptist
- Most Holy Trinity, Goodman Street, Church of England
- St Andrew, Churchdale Rd, Higher Blackley, Church of England
- St Mark, Whitemoss, Church of England
- St Paul, Victoria Ave, Church of England
- St Peter, Old Market Street, Church of England
- Hopkinson Rd, Higher Blackley, Independent Methodist
- White Moss, Grange Park Rd, Methodist
- Warren St, Methodist Association
- Warren Street, Lower Blackley, Methodist Association
- Zion, Crab Lane, Methodist New Connexion
- Rochdale Rd, Barnes Green, Primitive Methodist
- Market St, United Methodist Free Church
- Exchange St/Old Market St, Wesleyan Methodist
- St Nicholas, Grange Park Road, Byelorussian Orthodox Church
- Glenbrook Chapel , Victoria Ave, Evangelical
- Cumberland Rd, Exclusive Brethren
- Crab Lane, Pentecostal
- Victoria Avenue, Higher Blackley, Pentecostal
- Chapel Lane, Presbyterian
- Booth Hall Chapel, Roman Catholic
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Old Road, Roman Catholic
- St Clare, Victoria Avenue, Higher Blackley, Roman Catholic
- St John Bosco, Charlestown Rd, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Blackley area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
The Register Office covering the Blackley area is Manchester
You can see pictures of Blackley which are provided by:
In 1835 Blackley was a township in the parish of Manchester
You can see the administrative areas
in which Blackley has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD860024 (Lat/Lon: 53.518077, -2.212621), Blackley which are provided by: