1831, Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis
BLACKPOOL, a chapelry and bathing-place, in the parish of BISPHAM, hundred of AMOUNDERNESS, county palatine of LANCASTER, 4 miles (S.W.by W.) from Poulton, and 25 (S.W. by W.) from Lancaster, containing 800 resident inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with Â£600 private benefaction, and Â£1700 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of P. Hesketh, Esq. The chapel was built in 1821, at an expense of Â£1150, and the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels granted Â£200 for defraying the expense of a greater number of sittings. Blackpool, which acquired its name from a boggy pool at the southern end of the village, was, until within the last eighty years, an inconsiderable place; but, owing to its eligibility for bathing, it is now frequented every summer by a crowd of visitors, for whose accommodation commodious hotels and lodging-houses have been erected. The beach slopes gently from the site of the houses; the sands are smooth and firm; and the air is highly salubrious. The parade forms an agreeable promenade, from which there is an extensive view of the fells in Westmorland and Cumberland, and the mountains in North Wales. Excellent regulations have been introduced for the convenience of bathers; a news-room and library have been established, a theatre erected, and assemblies are occasionally held at the different hotels. Every alternate Sunday during the season the inhabitants of the surrounding district assemble at Lane End, and join in various rustic sports. The sea appears to have encroached considerably on the shore; a large, stone, called Penny-stone, lying on the sands, about half a mile from the shore, is stated by tradition to mark the site on which a public-house formerly stood. A free school was established in 1817, which is conducted on Dr. Bell's plan.