The church does not have a graveyard.
It was founded in 1888.
In 1875 a Trust was formed to purchase land bounded by Dickson Road and Cocker Street. Building then commenced on the Mount Pleasant Wesleyan Chapel which opened on July 3rd 1888. In 1899 Major William Hinksman gave the Trustees a gift of the land adjoining the site. On December 29th 1899 a new Trust was formed and its New Year resolution was to build a large and attractive Church and school, utilising the whole of the land.
The original school / Church was taken down - the "Tin Tabernacle" was erected where the Claremont First Step Community Centre now stands.
The building of the new Church began. Foundation Stones were officially laid April 4th 1906 by Alderman Joseph Heap J.P. Mrs. Farrar, Mr. R. Hughes, Mr. W. Robinson, Rev. H.R. Glanville, and Mr. Wm. Thompson J.P. The Church was built by Messrs. S. Butterworth & Sons Ltd, the architect, a Mr. George Payton of Birmingham. Mrs. Wm. Thompson opened the Church on April 24th 1907, in the presence of Rev. Albert Clayton, the president of the Wesleyan Methodist Church.
The Wesleyan Methodist church was formed in the 18th century from religous societies founded by John Wesley and his preachers. It suffered many secessions, but was the largest Nonconformist denomination in the 19th century. In 1932 the Wesleyan Methodists joined with the Primitive Methodists and the United Methodists to form the Methodist Church of Great Britain.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches etc. themselves. For current information you should contact them directly.