The church does not have a graveyard.
It was founded in 1849. It is now closed, but we do not know the date of closure.
Victoria Street Independent Chapel, was part of the Congregational Union in England and Wales. The church in Victoria Street was sold to make way for the shopping precinct. The congregation did not disband. It continued worshipping having bought the former Methodist Chapel in Newton Drive and worshipped in that building until it was demolished and a new building on the site built in 1990.
The present Victoria Congregational Church is the successor church to Victoria Street - there are still one or two members from there who are still alive although now very elderly. The building in Newton Drive is worth visiting for the etched and stained glass windows. Of its type a lovely building.
The Independent churches were ones in which each congregation was autonomous, upholding the principles of independence. In the 19th century they became known as Congregational.
In 1972 the Congregational church joined with the English Presbyterian church to become the United Reformed Church.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches etc. themselves.