The church of St. Catherine is a building of stone in the Norman style, consisting of nave, south aisle and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 6 bells and a clock: it was enlarged and repewed in 1766, galleried in 1837, re-roofed in 1894, and will seat about 700 persons, 203 sittings being free: by an Order in Council, dated May 5, 1882, the church was wholly closed against interments, and the churchyard also with some modifications. The register dates from the year 1606 and is in good condition. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £700, including 52 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Bolton, and held since 1877 by the Rev. Ralph Calvert Williams Croft B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin.
from Slater's Directory, Lancashire 1895