The church does not have a graveyard.
It was founded in 1861.
ST EDMUND'S BIRTH
From St. Peter & Paul's grew in 1845, St. Mary's, and in 1860 St. Patrick's and St. Edmund's. We are indebted to the "Bolton Chronicle" of August 18th, 1860 for the following particulars of St. Edmund's Stonelaying, which took place on Monday, August 12th. Bishop Turner performed the ceremony. The upper storey was to serve as the Church, the lower as a schoolroom, the length of the whole building to be 96-ft. by 32-ft. The event took place at 12-00 noon in the presence of a very large concourse of spectators, the neighbouring streets being densely thronged, chiefly with the very poorest of the poor. On the platform were Mr. John Water house, Alderman Dunderdale and Mr. Luke McHale. The procession was marshalled by the Rev. W. Dunderdale (son of Alderman Dunderdale) as M.C., and headed by the Rev. W. P. Corlett of Hindley, in "the habiliments of a Bene dictine monk," and bearing the cross. Also present were the Revs. Boardman of Bury, Benoit, Edmund Carter, James Snape, Michael Byrne, Jos. B. Smith, William Taylor, Jas. Fox, Richard Dunderdale (another son of the Alderman), Henry Jones, William Wells, Thomas Martin, William Sheehan, Seth Clarkson, Peter de Blon, Desiderius Vander-Weghe and E. G. Lynas. Before reaching the stone [to be seen in Blundell Street, under the Sanctuary window], the Bishop addressed the assembly in Grime Street [now renamed St. Edmund Street], saying that the erection of a new Church was at all times a great act of religion, for it was a house not made for man, but for God. It was here that men would commune with heaven, and religion would unfold its benign rules and precepts for their guidance. Here the sacraments would be administered, and the holy sacrifice of the Mass would be offered up for the living and the dead.
After blessing and laying the stone with the trowel and mallet of a workman, Dr. Turner was the first-to deposit his offering (a sovereign) on the stone; the clergy followed and afterwards the general public, the amount deposited being £24 5s. 3d.
Lunch followed at Mr. Bird's, the Lever's Arms Hotel, Dr. Turner not attending owing to another engagement. The Rev. E. Carter presided and at the close proposed the Pope's health, Mr. McHale occasioning great laughter by drinking "The Pope, may he live for ever," and afterwards by his song "The Pope he leads a happy life." The Chairman next proposed the health of Her Majesty, which was followed by the National Anthem. Next came the toasts of the Bishop, St. Edmund's, Rev. E. Carter, etc., the final ones being "The Town and Trade of Bolton," and "The Press." The builder, Mr. Liptrot was present, as also his foreman, Mr. Woods. The latter "alluded to the great difficulty which had been experienced in getting ready for the ceremony owing to the prosperous character of trade and the consequent carelessness of the men, nearly all of whom had been off work for some time."
Bishop Turner was present at the opening of the Church in July, 1861 (St. Edmund's Bazaar Handbook, 1894). The first baptisms were on October 6th of that year, being William Clarke, son of Hugh and Mary Clarke; Catharine Caroline, daughter of Patrick and Catherine Caroline; and Eliza Jane Carey, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Carey. The first marriage was on November 20th, 1866, between John Quinn and Mary Morrison.
The following Priests have had charge of the Parish: Fathers Conway (1861); Dumelie (1862-66); Vermeulen (1866-68); Browne (1868-80); Marringer (1880-84); Dean Averdonk (1884-1917); Chronnell (1918- ).
January 9th, 1871, separate school departments were made for boys and girls, the respective heads being Mr. Robert Gillow and Miss C.M. Chambers.
March 21st, 1873, the Infants were transferred to their own school, the average attendance being 120.
February 21st, 1896, two new classrooms were put in use.
August 21st, 1918, Mr. John Rothwell died, over 30 years Headmaster of the Boy's Department.
Mr. Frank Duffy, after an absence of over 30 years, visited the town and parish on March 19th, 1919, while over from America as member of the U.S.A. Labour Deligacy to the Peace Conference,
December 8th, 1919 to May 18th, 1920 a playground made for the Old School at a cost of £425.
May 4th, 1924, Sister Walburga retired, having been Headmistress of the Infants' Department 28 years.
Taken from St Edmund's Bazaar: 1928
It is located at SD7135309273 (Lat/Lon 53.579262,-2.434138). You can see this on maps provided by: