St Mark, Bolton - Church of England
St Mark's pages.
In 1856 the Vicar of Holy Trinity, the Rev Joseph Lowe, realised that an area in his parish covered by fields and lanes would soon become a thickly populated district and noted when children had finished their daily toils they were seen to be roaming the bye lanes or waste lands growing in ignorance and acquiring habits of vice. So he thought of a way to alleviate the problem.
A cottage on Lever St was acquired in 1857 and used as a Sunday School, the Rev Lowe was assisted in this effort by by Squire Openshaw, Mr Thomas Hall Arrowsmith and many others.
The project prospered and in 1858 two more cottages were built next to the original one as more homes were being built nearby so there were more children that needed to have their minds occupied.
By 1859, row after row of cottages were being built for the workers of the factories and mills that were also being built in the district, which was nothing but wasteland two years before.
By 1860 it was becoming clear to the Rev Lowe that the Sunday School was getting overcrowded and he found himself bound to attempt greater things. Mr George Piggott purchased the surrounding land for the building of a proper school and so the present school building came to be built. Piggott St and Piggott Park is named after George.
The Earl of Bradford 'Orlando George Charles Bridgeman 1819-1898' gave £200 towards the £3,255 it would cost to build and equip, it was designed by a Bolton Architect Mr C Holt and consisted of two rooms for boys and girls school each 102ft by 20ft and an infants room 60ft by 20ft and a master's house. The Sunday school was to be transferred into this new building and a day school started.
The School was opened the on the 8th of August 1861 by the Lord Bishop of Manchester at a tea party at which 300 people were present, It was first names Lever Street Holy Trinity National School and it opened it's doors the very next day and the Rev Lowe put one of his curates in charge of the district, the Rev John George Doman. The School was re-named St Mark's in 1867.
On Aug 14th 1866, the Lord Bishop of Manchester licensed the Rev Doman to the incumbency and the Rev Doman began at once to collect funds for the building of a Church, to be dedicated to St Mark. The church was designed by the architect R.K.Freeman
On St Mark's Day (25th April) 1871, the St Mark's the church was consecrated by Bishop Fraser.
On the 26th April 1902, the church tower is completed, dedicated as a Memorial to the late Rev J G Doman; the tower had been part of the original design.
On the 25th April 1971, St Mark's Day, the church is 100 years old. It is also the last day that the church will open it's doors. The decision to close the church was said to be because of dwindling parishioners who were moving further from the parish and also the area was being re-developed, but according to records the school and church had been under threat from the 1950s.
In December the last incumbent the Rev John Wood finally found the last of the movable furniture new homes and left the building.
St Mark's Church was demolished in early 1973.
Rev John George Doman 1866-1900
J Howden Cole, Curate 1871-1872
W Gordon Macpherson, Curate 1878-1879
John Lewis, Curate 1879-1883
J Wilson, Curate 1884-1886
George Frederick Eyes, Curate 1886-1900
Rev Edwin Wolfe 1898-19??
G E Twamley, Curate 1900-1903
J W Marsh, Curate 1902-1907
Viner George Ballance, Curate 1908-19??
Rev H R Tomlinson 1916-1917
J Binns, Curate 1916-1917
John E Kent, Curate 1917
Rev H A Coleman 1917-1921
John E Lang, Curate 1918-1921
G Belshaw, Curate 1921-1922
Rev Harry G Moss 1921-1937
Harry Isherwood, Curate 1923-1931
F S Sinker, Curate 1926-1929
John Gregson Wake, Curate 1933-1936
Rev J Stanley Leatherbarrow 1937-1944
Joseph Gilbert, Curate 1939
G B Oakley, Curate 1940-1942
Rev John Collingwood Hadfield 1944-1951
Donald Cunliffe Organist and Choirmaster
Rev Eric Ronald Chapman 1951-1958
Rev Cyril A Winters 1958-19??
Rev John N Wood 19??-1972
- this church marked on a Google map. (Use this to report a corrected location)
- Google Streetview (Drag pegman to centre of map to show picture)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Google maps showing nearby churches with satellite image option.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches themselves.
Help requiredThe information provided has been obtained from a number of sources and although every effort is made to avoid errors, just a few may be present. So if there are any please let us know. [Use the link at the bottom of this page].
We do not currently have the following information, and if you can provide it then please do so:
- Who holds the records of baptisms, marriages or burials? Have any transcripts of the registers been published?
If you have any further information about the church that you think would be useful to other researchers then do get in touch.