An offshoot of the mother-parish of SS. Peter and Paul, this church, dedicated to the Apostle of Ireland, is an indication of the race of the first parishioners, who were mostly refugees from the Irish Famine. A Gothic church with a steeple was opened on St. Patrick's day in 1861; it is unfortunate that the steeple has lost its original height, and the present view of the church is hardly recognisable from the old pictures in the Catholic Monthly (published from SS. Peter and Paul's, August 1895). Fr. Denis Byrne was the first Rector. He was a brother of Dean Byrne at St. Marie's, Bury, and of a well-known figure, Canon Thomas Byrne of St. Michael's, George Leigh Street, Manchester. Then Fr. McDermott Roe was Rector in 1877 for a short period until Monsignor Canon Joseph Burke (later at St. Mary's, Black burn) was appointed. Among his many benefactions to the Diocese, Canon Burke left his collection of pictures, and an endowment to St. Bede's College, and he placed beautiful stained-glass windows in St. Patrick's and at Pleasington Priory. When he went to Black burn another priest of the same name but not, of the same family came to St. Patrick's Fr.John Burke (later Canon), who cared for the parish during ten years until his transfer to Halliwell. Fr. Osmund Woods took charge until he went to the Forces as Chaplain. During, his absence, Fr. Robert Walmsley was administrator. Fr. John Farley was appointed in 1917 and remained until 1926 when Fr. Walter Turner succeeded him. St. Patrick's is a great spiritual centre for Bolton and is continually visited by many Catholics from other parishes.
Taken from 'Salford Diocese and its Catholic past', a survey by Charles A. Bolton, a Priest of the above Diocese. Published 1950 on the First Centenary for the Diocese of Salford.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches themselves. For current information you should contact them directly.
The church is located at OS grid reference SD7177008945 (Lat/Lon 53.576331,-2.427824). You can see this on maps provided by:
this church marked on a Google map. (Use this to report a corrected location)