BOLTON-LE-SANDS, a township and a parish in Lancaster district, Lancashire. The township lies on the Lancaster and Kendal canal, and on the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, contiguous to the sands of Morecambe bay, 4 miles N by E of Lancaster; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Lancaster. Acres, 1,571. Real property, £4,220. Pop., 692. Houses, 146. The parish contains also the townships of Over Kellet, Nether Kellet, and Slyne-with-Hest. Acres, 7,905. Real property, £13,502. Pop., 1,713. Houses, 347. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £187.* Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church is modern and very good. The vicarage of Over Kellet is a separate benefice. An endowed school has £35; other charities £101.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)