BOOTLE-CUM-LINACRE, a township and three chapelries in Walton-on-the-Hill parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Mersey, the Liverpool and Southport railway, and the L. and Leeds canal, 3¼ miles N by W of Liverpool; was, till lately, a much-frequented watering-place, but is now occupied, on all its river front, by Liverpool docks; and has a post office under Liverpool, and four railway stations. Acres, 1,781; of which 610 are water. Real property in 1860, £25,158. Pop. in 1861, 6,414. Houses, 1,048. Pop. in 1869, about 15,200. The chapelries are St. Mary, St. John, and Christchurch; the two former p. curacies, the latter a vicarage, in the diocese of Chester. Value of St. M., £300; of C., £300.* Patron of St. M., W. S. Millar, Esq.; of St. J. and C., Trustees. St. M. 's church was built in 1826; St. J. 's in 1864, at a cost of £5,000; church, in 1866, at a cost of £8,800; and all are handsome. A Wesleyan chapel, in French first-pointed style, was built in 1864. A Roman Catholic chapel was built in 1868. There are also United Presbyterian, Baptist, and Welsh Methodist chapels, a national school, and a Christian Association's reading and lecture rooms.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Ash Street, Baptist
- Stanley Rd, Baptist
- Park Chapel, Waterworks St, Church of Christ
- Christ Church, Breeze Hill, Church of England
- St Benedict, Kepler St, Church of England
- St John, Brasenose Rd, Church of England
- St Leonard, Peel Rd, Church of England
- St Mary, Derby Rd, Church of England
- St Matthew, Stanley Rd, Church of England
- Emmanuel, Balliol Rd, Congregational
- Stanley Road, Elim Pentecostal
- Northfield Church, Northfield Road, Evangelical
- Bankhall, Knowsley Road, Mission Church
- Earle Rd, Presbyterian
- St Paul, Peel Rd, Presbyterian
- Trinity, Hawthorne Rd, Presbyterian
- Queen's Rd, Primitive Methodist
- University Rd, Protestant Free Church
- Our Lady of Perpetual Succour, Marsh Lane, Roman Catholic
- St Alexander, St John's Rd, Roman Catholic
- St James, Chesnut Grove, Roman Catholic
- St Joan of Arc, Peel Rd, Roman Catholic
- St Monica, Fernhill Rd, Roman Catholic
- St Richard of Chichester, Miranda Rd, Roman Catholic
- St Robert Bellarmine, Orrell Rd, Roman Catholic
- St Winefride, Derby Rd, Roman Catholic
- St Winefride, Oriel Rd, Roman Catholic
- Stanley Rd, Salvation Army
- Stanley Rd, Unitarian
- Balliol Rd, Welsh Baptist
- Brasenose Rd, Welsh Baptist
- Prince's Terrace, Welsh Baptist
- Rhyl St, Marsh Lane, Welsh Baptist
- Peel Rd, Welsh Calvinist Methodist
- Stanley Rd, Welsh Calvinist Methodist
- University Rd, Welsh Congregational
- Hornby Rd, Welsh Wesleyan Methodist
- Trinity Rd, Welsh Wesleyan Methodist
- Balliol Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- Wesley Hall, Sheridan Place, Derby Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Bootle area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.Sefton South. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Bootle to another place. Walton on the Hill. maps of Bootle and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ339947 (Lat/Lon: 53.444896, -2.996683), Bootle which are provided by:
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview