BRADFORD, a township and a chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township lies adjacent to the Manchester and Sheffield railway, 4 miles E of Manchester; and has a post office under Manchester. Acres, 279. Pop., 3,523. Houses, 707. The chapelry extends into Beswick township; bears the name of Bradford-cum-Beswick; and was constituted very recently. The statistics are not reported. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester, with a parsonage, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The church was built in 1862, at a cost of £6,000; and is in the early English style, and cruciform. There are Wesleyan and Free Methodist chapels, large schools built in 1864, at a cost of £3,000, and a police station.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)