BRETHERTON, a township-chapelry in Croston parish, Lancashire; on the Douglas river, 1 mile E of Croston r. station, and 9 SSW of Preston. It has a post office under Chorley. Acres, 2,405. Real property, £4,485. Pop., 775. Houses, 149. The property is not much divided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Rector of Croston. The church is a recent structure, in the early English style. There are an Independent chapel, a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed school; the last founded in 1654, and having £112 a year.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Ebenezer, South Road, Independent
- St John the Baptist, South Road, Church of England
- South Road, Independent Methodist
- South Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Bretherton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Chorley. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Bretherton to another place. Croston. maps of Bretherton and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD476204 (Lat/Lon: 53.677421, -2.794757), Bretherton which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- Mario (Lancashire Council maps, less than historic county)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.