BRETHERTON, a township-chapelry in Croston parish, Lancashire; on the Douglas river, 1 mile E of Croston r. station, and 9 SSW of Preston. It has a post office under Chorley. Acres, 2,405. Real property, £4,485. Pop., 775. Houses, 149. The property is not much divided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Rector of Croston. The church is a recent structure, in the early English style. There are an Independent chapel, a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed school; the last founded in 1654, and having £112 a year.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)