The church has/had a graveyard.
The Independent Church at BRETHERTON formed and organised the 30th of November in the year 1819.
The land on which the Chapel stands was given by W Rymer, then of London, afterwards by Manchester- In the year 1837. His widow Mrs Leak Rymer, gave a piece of land by which the Burial Ground was enlarged.
Ebenezer Chapel was opened for public worship June 1st 1819. The Revd W Roby from Manchester preached in the morning:- the Revd A Steill from Wigan in afternoon & Rev G Greatbatch in the evening.
The ordination of W Bowen took place on 23rd of May 1820. The Revd W M Walker, Preston delivered the introductory discourse and asked the questions. The Revd G Greatbatch offered up the prayer: The Revd A Steill delivered the Charge and the Revd W Hacking addresses the Church and Congregation.
In the year 1833, A floor of wood was laid and pews were erected,- the Recess at the West end of the Chapel & the School Room one story high, were erected in the same year, 1833. The upper school room and the tower for the Bell were built in 1836.
According to the records the church was missioned in 1786.
The original church was built in 1819
Rebuilt in 1896
School re built 1905
The Independent churches were ones in which each congregation was autonomous, upholding the principles of independence. In the 19th century they became known as Congregational.
In 1972 many Congregational churches joined with the English Presbyterian church to become the United Reformed Church. However Bretherton chose to remain a Congregational Church.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches themselves. For current information you should contact them directly.