BRIERCLIFFE, a township and a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire. The township bears the name of Briercliffe-with-Extwistle; and lies near the East Lancashire railway, 3 miles NE by E of Burnley. Post Town, Burnley. Acres, 4,180. Real property, £5,222. Pop., 1,332. Houses, 263. There are quarries and cotton mills. The chapelry was constituted in 1842. Pop., 2,024. Houses, 393. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £250.* Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church was built in 1840. There are two Baptist chapels and a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)