BROUGHTON, a township-chapelry and a subdistrict, in Preston district, Lancashire. The chapelry is in Preston parish, adjacent to the Preston and Lancaster railway, 3 miles N by W of Preston; and has a station on the railway, jointly with Barton, a post office under Preston, and a fair on 1 Aug. Acres, 2,346. Real property, £6,862. Pop., 709. Houses, 126. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £106.* Patron, A. Sedgwick, Esq. The church is good; and there are a Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed school with £110 a year, and charities £15. The subdistrict contains eight townships. Pop., 7,850.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)