BROUGHTON (East), or Broughton-Field, a township-chapelry in Cartmel parish, Lancashire; 4 miles N of Cartmel r. station, and 7 NE of Ulverstone. Post Town, Cartmel, under Newton-in-Cartmel. Acres, 2,830. Real property, £4,332. Pop., 534. Houses, 107. The property is subdivided. Broughton Grove, Broughton Hall, and Broughton Lodge are chief residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £67.* Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church is good.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)