BROUGHTON, a township-chapelry and a subdistrict, in Salford district, Lancashire; on the river Irwell, near the Bolton railway, in the parish and within the borough of Manchester. It includes a suburb of Manchester, called Higher Broughton and Lower Broughton, communicating with Salford by Broughton bridge; includes also the village of Kersall; and has a post office, of the name of Broughton-Road, under Manchester. Acres, 960. Real property, £66,430. Pop., 9,885. Houses, 1,789. Broughton Hall belonged formerly to the Chethams and the Stanleys; was partly burnt in 1847; and belongs now to Col. Clowes. Higher Broughton and Lower Broughton contain several streets, straight, airy, and crossing one another at right angles; and the two are conjoint. The chapelry was constituted in 1840. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £400.* Patrons, Trustees. There are six dissenting chapels; one of them built in 1869, at a cost of £6,000. The subdistrict is conterminate with the chapelry.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)