Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
BUTTERWORTH, a township and two subdistricts in Rochdale parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the verge of the county, near the Manchester and Leeds railway, 3 miles E of Rochdale. It includes the hamlets of Clegg, Wildhouse, Belfield, Butterworth Hall, Lowhouse, Haughs, and Bleaked-gate-cum-Roughbank. Real property, £26,906; of which £6,355 are in mines. Pop., 6,704. Houses, 1,332. There are cotton and woollen factories, a church of 1798, dissenting chapels, two endowed schools, and charities £32. The subdistricts are B. Freehold-side and B. Lordship-side; and are jointly conterminate with the township.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Ogden, Cedar Lane, Newhey, Baptist
- Lanebottom, Ogden, Particular Baptist
- Milnrow Rd, Newbold, Particular Baptist
- Congregational, Newhey
- St Ann, Rochdale Road, Belfield, Church of England
- St Peter, Church Rd, Newbold, Church of England
- St Thomas, Church Street, Newhey, Church of England
- Huddersfield Road, Newhey, Primitive Methodist
- United Methodist Free Church, Newhey
- Smithy Bridge Rd, Smithy Bridge, United Methodist Free Church
- Shaw Rd, Newhey, Wesleyan Methodist
- Vavasour St, Newbold, Wesleyan Methodist
- Sacred Heart , Kingsway, Newbold, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Butterworth area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
The Register Office covering the Butterworth area is Rochdale
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Butterworth which are provided by:
In 1835 Butterworth was a township in the parish of Rochdale
You can see the administrative areas
in which Butterworth has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD932118 (Lat/Lon: 53.602713, -2.104240), Butterworth which are provided by: