CARNFORTH, a township in Warton parish, Lancashire; on the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, 6 miles NNE of Lancaster. It has a r. station with telegraph, a post office under Lancaster, six blast furnaces erected in 1865, and an endowed school used as a church. Acres, 1,492. Real property, £2,269. Pop., 393. Houses, 82. A subterranean brook bursts up here, after having run 2 miles under ground from a limestone cavern at Dunald-mill-hole. The Furness and Ulverston railway makes its junction with the Lancaster and Carlisle at Carnforth; and the Furness and Midland, connecting the former with the Little Northwestern, and opened in 1867, goes hence to Wennington.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)