CARNFORTH, a township in Warton parish, Lancashire; on the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, 6 miles NNE of Lancaster. It has a r. station with telegraph, a post office under Lancaster, six blast furnaces erected in 1865, and an endowed school used as a church. Acres, 1,492. Real property, £2,269. Pop., 393. Houses, 82. A subterranean brook bursts up here, after having run 2 miles under ground from a limestone cavern at Dunald-mill-hole. The Furness and Ulverston railway makes its junction with the Lancaster and Carlisle at Carnforth; and the Furness and Midland, connecting the former with the Little Northwestern, and opened in 1867, goes hence to Wennington.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Kellet Road, Cemetery
- Christ Church, Lancaster Road, Church of England
- Emmanuel, Hawk St, Congregational
- Hunter St, Free Methodist
- Our Lady of Lourdes, Kellet Road, Roman Catholic
- Salvation Army
- Preston St, Salvation Army
- North Road, Wesleyan Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Carnforth area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.Lancaster.
You can see pictures of Carnforth which are provided by:gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Carnforth to another place. Warton. maps of Carnforth and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD498705 (Lat/Lon: 54.127895, -2.769687), Carnforth which are provided by:
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview