CARNFORTH, a township in Warton parish, Lancashire; on the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, 6 miles NNE of Lancaster. It has a r. station with telegraph, a post office under Lancaster, six blast furnaces erected in 1865, and an endowed school used as a church. Acres, 1,492. Real property, £2,269. Pop., 393. Houses, 82. A subterranean brook bursts up here, after having run 2 miles under ground from a limestone cavern at Dunald-mill-hole. The Furness and Ulverston railway makes its junction with the Lancaster and Carlisle at Carnforth; and the Furness and Midland, connecting the former with the Little Northwestern, and opened in 1867, goes hence to Wennington.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Kellet Road, Cemetery
- Emmanuel, Hawk St, Congregational
- Christ Church, Lancaster Road, Church of England
- Hunter St, Free Methodist
- North Road , Wesleyan Methodist
- Salvation Army
- Preston St, Salvation Army
- Our Lady of Lourdes, Kellet Road, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Carnforth area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Lancaster.
You can see pictures of Carnforth which are provided by:gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Carnforth to another place. Warton. maps of Carnforth and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD498705 (Lat/Lon: 54.127895, -2.769687), Carnforth which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- Mario (Lancashire Council maps, less than historic county)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.