CASTLETON, a township and two subdistricts in Rochdale parish and district, Lancashire. The township stands on the Rochdale canal and the Manchester and Leeds railway, partly within the borough of Rochdale, partly in the south-eastern suburbs and environs. Real property, £102,077: of which £24,424 are in the canal. Pop. in 1841, 14,279; in 1861, 23,771. Houses, 4,884. The part without the borough includes the villages and hamlets of Buersill, Lowerplace, Newbold, Marland, Lower-Lane, Broad-Lane, Backlanes, Roeacre, Captainfold, Castleton-Moor, and Bluepits. There are traces of a castle, supposed to have been built before the Conquest. The subdistricts are C.-Within and C.-Without; and are jointly conterminate with the township. Pop. of C.Within, 13,971. Houses, 2,892.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)