CATON, a township, a chapelry, and a subdistrict in Lancaster district, Lancashire. The township lies on the river Lune and the Midland railway, 4¼ miles NE of Lancaster; is in Lancaster parish; includes Littledale hamlet; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Lancaster. Acres, 8,373. Real property, £6,683. Pop., 1,160. Houses, 223. The property is much subdivided. A rising ground commands a noble view, much praised by the poet Gray, of the valley of the Lune, backed by Ingleborough mountain. Coal and slate are found; and the cotton manufacture is carried on. The chapelry comprises all the township, except Littledale hamlet. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £100.* Patron, the Vicar of Lancaster. The church was rebuilt in 1864. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and charities £20. The subdistrict contains also Quernmoor township and Claughton parish. Pop., 1,817. Houses, 346.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Artlebeck Rd, Baptist
- St Ann, Littledale Rd, Church of England
- St Paul, Caton Green Road, Church of England
- Copy Lane, Congregational
- Congregational, Littledale
- Brookhouse Rd, Methodist, Brookhouse
- Moorside Rd, Primitive Methodist
- Our Lady Immaculate, Station Road, Roman Catholic
- Brookhouse Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Caton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.Lancaster. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Caton to another place. Lancaster. maps of Caton and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD540644 (Lat/Lon: 54.073468, -2.704492), Caton which are provided by:
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview