We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
CHADDERTON, a township, two chapelries, and a subdistrict in Oldham district, Lancashire. The township lies on the Oldham railways, the river Irk, and the Rochdale canal, within Oldham borough, and 1 mile ESE of Middleton; and has a post office under Manchester. Acres, 2,978. Real property, £29,797; of which £6,967 are in mines. Pop., 7,486. Houses, 1,503. The property is much subdivided. Chadderton Hall was formerly the seat of the Hortons. Many of the inhabitants are employed in collieries, and in cotton and silk factories. The chapelries are Chadderton-St. John and Chadderton-St. Matthew; were constituted in 1844; and jointly are a little more extensive than the township. The livings are vicarages in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300 and £300. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. St. M. 's church was built, at a cost of £1,900, in 1857. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans. The Oldham cemetery also is here. The subdistrict consists of Chadderton and Tonge townships. Acres, 3,345. Pop., 12,092. Houses, 2,456.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Oldham
- Mills Hill Rd, Baptist
- Congregational, Holden
- Garforth St, Congregational
- Christ Church, Block Lane, Church of England
- Emmanuel, Chestnut St, Church of England
- St George, Broadway, Church of England
- St Luke, Buckley St, Church of England
- St Mark, Milne St, Church of England
- St Matthew, Mill Brow, Church of England
- St Saviour, Bishopsgate St, Church of England
- St Saviour, Denton Lane, Church of England
- Derby Street, Methodist
- Thompson Lane, Methodist
- Garforth St, Busk, Methodist New Connexion
- Butler Green, Washbrook, Primitive Methodist
- Healds Green, Primitive Methodist
- Middleton Rd, Primitive Methodist
- Garforth St, United Methodist
- Block lane, Cowhill, Wesleyan Methodist
- Busk St, Wesleyan Methodist
- Eaves Lane, Wesleyan Methodist
- Turf Lane, Wesleyan Methodist
- Dovetales, Maygate, Christian Centre
- Firwood, Middleton Rd, Evangelical
- Buckley St, Moravian
- St Herbert, Broadway, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Chadderton area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
The Register Office covering the Chadderton area is Oldham
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Chadderton which are provided by:
In 1835 Chadderton was a township in the parish of Oldham
You can see the administrative areas
in which Chadderton has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD898058 (Lat/Lon: 53.548726, -2.155422), Chadderton which are provided by: