CHADDERTON, a township, two chapelries, and a subdistrict in Oldham district, Lancashire. The township lies on the Oldham railways, the river Irk, and the Rochdale canal, within Oldham borough, and 1 mile ESE of Middleton; and has a post office under Manchester. Acres, 2,978. Real property, £29,797; of which £6,967 are in mines. Pop., 7,486. Houses, 1,503. The property is much subdivided. Chadderton Hall was formerly the seat of the Hortons. Many of the inhabitants are employed in collieries, and in cotton and silk factories. The chapelries are Chadderton-St. John and Chadderton-St. Matthew; were constituted in 1844; and jointly are a little more extensive than the township. The livings are vicarages in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300 and £300. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. St. M. 's church was built, at a cost of £1,900, in 1857. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans. The Oldham cemetery also is here. The subdistrict consists of Chadderton and Tonge townships. Acres, 3,345. Pop., 12,092. Houses, 2,456.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Mills Hill Rd, Baptist
- Dovetales, Maygate, Christian Centre
- Christ Church, Block Lane, Church of England
- Emmanuel, Chestnut St, Church of England
- St George, Broadway, Church of England
- St Luke, Buckley St, Church of England
- St Mark, Milne St, Church of England
- St Matthew, Mill Brow, Church of England
- St Saviour, Bishopsgate St, Church of England
- St Saviour, Denton Lane, Church of England
- Garforth St, Congregational
- Congregational, Holden
- Firwood, Middleton Rd, Evangelical
- Derby Street, Methodist
- Thompson Lane, Methodist
- Garforth St, Methodist New Connexion, Busk
- Buckley St, Moravian
- Butler Green, Washbrook, Primitive Methodist
- Healds Green, Primitive Methodist
- Middleton Rd, Primitive Methodist
- St Herbert, Broadway, Roman Catholic
- Garforth St, United Methodist
- Block lane, Cowhill, Wesleyan Methodist
- Busk St, Wesleyan Methodist
- Eaves Lane, Wesleyan Methodist
- Turf Lane, Wesleyan Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Chadderton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.Oldham. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Chadderton to another place. Oldham. Chadderton in the 19th century. maps of Chadderton and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD898058 (Lat/Lon: 53.548726, -2.155422), Chadderton which are provided by:
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview