CHATBURN, a township and a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the verge of the county, on the river Ribble, at the terminus of the Blackburn and Clitheroe railway, 2½ miles NE of Clitheroe. Acres, 720. Pop., 521. Houses, 111. The chapelry includes also the township of Worston; and its post town is Clitheroe, under Blackburn. Acres, 1,580. Rated property, £2,425. Pop., 605. Houses, 132. The property is divided among a few. Cotton manufacture and lime-burning are carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £165. Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church was struck by lightning in 1854; and the steeple of it had to be taken down and rebuilt.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Christ Church, Sawley Road, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Chatburn area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Ribble Valley. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Chatburn to another place. Whalley. maps of Chatburn and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD768442 (Lat/Lon: 53.893453, -2.354516), Chatburn which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- Mario (Lancashire Council maps, less than historic county)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.