CHURCH, or Church-Kirk, a township-chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire; on the East Lancashire railway, 1 mile NNW of Accrington. It has a post office under Accrington, and a r. station. Acres, 620. Real property, £13,452; of which £2,000 are in mines, and £659 in quarries. Pop., 4,753. Houses, 873. The property is much subdivided. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in factories. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £650.* Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church is good. St. Paul's is a new and separate charge. There are three Methodist chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, and two national schools.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)