"CLAUGHTON, a township in Garstang parish, Lancashire; on the Lancaster canal and the Lancaster and Preston railway, 2½ miles S of Garstang. Acres, 3,700. Real property, £4,690. Pop., 608. Houses, 110. Hall is the seat of the Brockholes family. There are a Preshyterian chapel of 1866, a Roman Catholic chapel, modern and in the Grecian style, a large Roman Catholic school, and the Garstang workhouse."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)