CLIFTON, a township in Eccles parish, Lancashire; on the Bury and Bolton canal, and on the Manchester and Bolton railway, at the junction of the East Lancashire railway, 4½ miles NW of Manchester. It has a station on the railway, called the Clifton Junction. Acres, 820. Real property, £10,516, of which £6,623 are in mines. Pop., 2,140. Houses, 365. Coal is worked. Clifton House is the seat of J. Fletcher, Esq.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)