COLTON, or Coulton, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Ulverstone district, Lancashire. The village stands between the rivers Crake and Leven, under Furness fells, 3½ miles WSW of the foot of the lake Windermere, 4½ N of the Ulverstone and Lancaster railway, and 5½ NNE of Ulverstone. The parish includes also Haverthwaite and Rusland hamlets and Finsthwaite chapelry; and the first of these has a post office under Newton-in-Cartmel. Acres, 13,330. Real property, £8,814. Pop., 1,794. Houses, 340. The property is subdivided. The surface shares in the fine scenery of the Furness fells and tlhe Lake country. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £110. Patrons, the Landowners. The church is tolerable. Tho p. curacies of Haverthwaite, Rusland, and Finsthwaite are separate benefices. There is a Baptist chapel. A school has £67 from endowment; and other charities £14. The sub-district contains also four townships of Ulverstone parish. Acres, 22,486. Pop., 3,838. Houses, 730.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)