COPPULL, a township and a chapelry in Standish parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Wigan and Preston railway, 6 miles N by W of Wigan; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Chorley. Acres, 2,279. Real property, £6,152; of which £1,950 are in mines. Pop., 1,230. Houses, 218. The chapelry was constituted in 1842; and was at first more extensive than the township, with a pop. of upwards of 2,000; but is now conterminate with the township. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Manchester. Value, £120. Patron, the Rector of Standish. The church was rebuilt in 1861. There is a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £44.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- 'Coppull Memories' (now out of print) by Keith Lees & Geoff Bellis. This is A Countryside Publication ISBN 0 86157 203 3. It is a photographic collection. The co-author Geoff Bellis holds the full collection (in ring binders) from which these were chosen. He lends them to local people, inviting them to add names that are missing.
- Chapel Lane, Church of England
- St John the Divine, Hewlett Street, Church of England
- Preston Rd, Methodist
- St Oswald, Tansley Ave, Roman Catholic
- Chapel Lane, Wesleyan Methodist
- Spendmore Lane, Wesleyan Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Coppull area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.Chorley. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Coppull to another place. Standish. history of Coppull. maps of Coppull and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD563142 (Lat/Lon: 53.622499, -2.662186), Coppull which are provided by:
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview