CROMPTON, a township and a sub-district in Oldham district, Lancashire. The township is in Prestwich parish, and within Oldham borough; lies near the Oldham and the Rochdale railways, 3 miles N of Oldham; contains the villages of High-Crompton, Cowlishall, and Shaw, the last of which has a post office under Oldham; and is divided into the chapelries of East Crompton and Shaw. Acres, 2, 864. Real property, £22,972; of which £2,779 are in mines, £1,060 in quarries, and £350 in gas-works. Pop., 7,032. Houses, 1,460. Many of the inhabitants are employed in collieries and in large cotton mills. The sub-district is conterminate with the township.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- St James, St James Street, Church of England
- St Mary, Rushcroft Rd, Church of England, High Crompton
- Buckstones Rd, Primitive Methodist, Shore Edge
- Rochdale Rd, Green Hill, United Methodist Free Church
- Gravelhole Chapel, Shaw Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- Grains Rd, Wesleyan Methodist, Top O' Th' Knowl
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Crompton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.Oldham. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Crompton to another place. Oldham. Crompton in the 19th century. maps of Crompton and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD927095 (Lat/Lon: 53.582032, -2.111741), Crompton which are provided by:
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview