CROMPTON, a township and a sub-district in Oldham district, Lancashire. The township is in Prestwich parish, and within Oldham borough; lies near the Oldham and the Rochdale railways, 3 miles N of Oldham; contains the villages of High-Crompton, Cowlishall, and Shaw, the last of which has a post office under Oldham; and is divided into the chapelries of East Crompton and Shaw. Acres, 2, 864. Real property, £22,972; of which £2,779 are in mines, £1,060 in quarries, and £350 in gas-works. Pop., 7,032. Houses, 1,460. Many of the inhabitants are employed in collieries and in large cotton mills. The sub-district is conterminate with the township.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- St James, St James Street, Church of England
- St Mary, Rushcroft Rd, High Crompton, Church of England
- Buckstones Rd, Shore Edge, Primitive Methodist
- Rochdale Rd, Green Hill, United Methodist Free Church
- Grains Rd, Top O' Th' Knowl, Wesleyan Methodist
- Gravelhole Chapel , Shaw Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Crompton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Oldham. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Crompton to another place. Oldham. Crompton in the 19th century. maps of Crompton and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD927095 (Lat/Lon: 53.582032, -2.111741), Crompton which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.