CROSTON, a village, a township, and a sub-district in Chorley district, and a parish partly also in Ormskirk district, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Yarrow, near the Liverpool and Preston railway, 6 miles W of Chorley; has a station on the railway, and a post office under Preston; and was once a market-town. The township comprises 2,343 acres. Real property, £6,224. Pop., 1,790. Houses, 346. The sub-district contains also Mawdesley, Bretherton, and Ulnes-Walton townships in Croston parish, and two townships in Eccleston parish. Acres, 13,042. Pop., 5,369. Houses, 1,013. The parish includes Bispham township in Ormskirk district. Acres, 10,648. Rated property, £16,959. Pop., 4,242. Houses, 803. The property is not much divided. Croston Hall is the seat of J. R. De Trafford, Esq. Several adjacent parishes were formerly parts of this. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £1,050.* Patrons, the Reps. of the late Archdeacon Master. The church is ancient and good. The rectories of Bretherton and Mawdesley are separate benefices. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Roman Catholics. A free school, alms-houses, and other charities have £832.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)