CRUMPSALL, a township and two chapelries in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the river Irk, 2½ miles N of Manchester. Post town, Manchester. Acres, 733. Real property, £20,329. Pop., 4,285. Houses, 714. Crumpsall Hall was the seat of the Chethams; and passed to the Waklyns. The chapelries are Crumpsall-St. Mary and Crumpsall-St. Thomas or Lower Crumpsall. Crumpsall-St. Mary was constituted in 1860, and did not include all the township. Pop., 3,306. Houses, 525. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, not reported. Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church was built in 1859, at a cost of £4,420; is in the early decorated style; and consists of nave, chancel, and south aisles, with bell-turret and vestry. Crumpsall-St. Thomas was constituted in 1863; and is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Statistics not reported. Patron, the Bishop of M. The church was founded in 1862. There are three Methodist chapels, large schools, a mechanics' institute, and the Manchester new workhouse.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Crescent Road, Jewish Cemetery
- St Mary, St Mary's Lane, Church of England
- St Matthew, Cleveland Rd, Church of England
- St Thomas, Hazelbottom Road, Church of England
- Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation, Ashdown, Middleton Road, Jewish
- James Street, Methodist Association
- St Anne, Crescent Road, Roman Catholic
- James Street, United Methodist Free Church, Lower Crumpsall
- Lansdowne Rd, Wesleyan Methodist, Crumpsall Park
- Waterloo St, Wesleyan Methodist, Lower Crumpsall
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Crumpsall area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.Manchester. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Crumpsall to another place. Manchester. Crumpsall in the 19th century. maps of Crumpsall and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD842027 (Lat/Lon: 53.520722, -2.239784), Crumpsall which are provided by:
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview