Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
CULCHETH, a township and a sub-district in Leigh district, Lancashire. The township is in Newchurch-Kenyon parish; lies on the Liverpool and Manchester railway, 3 miles S of Leigh; and has a church, Methodist chapels, an endowed school for boys and girls, and charities £49. Acres, 5,361. Real property, £10,339. Pop., 2,214. Houses, 444. Culcheth Hall is the seat of the Withingtons. The sub-district includes also two townships of Leigh parish. Acres, 10,427. Pop., 10,881. Houses, 2,204.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Church of the Transfiguration, The Mount, Admirals Road, Birchwood, Church of England
- Hob Hey Lane, Twiss Green, Independent Methodist
- Warrington Rd, Risley, Independent Methodist
- Risley Independent Methodist, Fearnhead Lane, Risley, Independent Methodist
- Ellesmere Rd, Methodist
- Primitive Methodist, Risley
- Cross Lane, Risley, Presbyterian
- Thomas Risley Church, Glover Road, Locking Stumps, Presbyterian
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Culcheth area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
You can see pictures of Culcheth which are provided by:
In 1835 Culcheth was a township in the parish of Winwick
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ661950 (Lat/Lon: 53.450654, -2.511939), Culcheth which are provided by: