It was founded in 1870.
The story of the church begins in 1870 when Dalton Tithe Barn was converted for use as a church. The Wigan Observer of 12th August 1870 reported that "the Tithe Barn of Dalton has been made as much like a church as the rudeness of the structure permits". The barn held 130 worshippers.
It soon became clear that the Tithe Barn was too small for the requirements of the parish. The foundation stone for the present church was laid by Lady Skelmersdale on St Michael and All Angel's Day, 29th September 1875. It was sited adjacent to the Tithe Barn on ground which had originally been the orchard of Ashurst Hall.
It was built from sandstone taken from the local Round O quarry owned by Lord Skelmersdale and was consecrated on 29th September 1877.