The church did not have a graveyard.
It was founded in 1870 and closed in 1935.
The Bible Christian chapel, a now vanished red-brick building erected in 1872-73, stood on Broughton Road, opposite the junction to Chapel Street. Previously the Bible Christians, along with other nonconformist denominations, had temporarily used the Old Grammar School (Welsh Chapel) in Beckside Road. Their own replacement building, latterly known as Broughton Road (United) Methodist Church, was last mentioned in Furness Year Book, 1935. The building later being used as a welfare centre and subsequently a slipper factory, prior to its final demolition.
The Bible Christians, being an offshoot of the Methodists originating in Cornwall and Devonshire, we are not surprised to find considerable element of Cornish blood amongst their members. Their first service was held in the old Grammar School on Christmas Day, 1870. Their first minister was the Rev. E. Rodgers, who laboured amongst them so successfully that they were able to build their present chapel in Broughton Road in 1872, the year of the erection of the Baptist place of worship.
The following table is submitted for reference. The return of members of society is the number enrolled on the books of the different churches in May, 1882 :
|Name of church||Number of|
of the Chapel.
|Wesleyan Methodists||225||650 |
|Congregational Church||174||300 |
|Primitive Methodists||110||252 |
|Bible Christians||92||500 |
|Welsh Calvinists||34||180 |
from Mannex's directory of Furness & Cartmel, 1882
The Bible Christians were formed in 1815 when they seceeded from the Wesleyan Methodists. In 1907 the Bible Christians merged with the United Methodist Free Church and the Methodist New Connexion to form the United Methodist Church.
In 1932 the United Methodists joined with the Wesleyan Methodists and the Primitive Methodists to form the Methodist Church of Great Britain.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches themselves.
It was located at SD2327374391 (Lat/Lon 54.159571,-3.176500). You can see this on maps provided by: