Broughton Road Particular Baptist, Dalton-in-Furness
Particular Baptist church,
The Baptists met initially in temporary premises, including the former Wesleyan building on Skelgate. A new Baptist chapel opened in 1885; it was last mentioned in Furness Year Book 1939 (although marriage registers had been formally closed in 1928). The Chapel is now closed and the building used for commercial purposes. It is clear from later references in A History of Tottlebank Baptist Church 1669-1999 that it continued to operate after the Second World War. The book notes that eventually "with Dalton church due to close at the end of January 1963 ....the maintenance of Baptist witness in the peninsula seemed more precarious than ever" ( pp 53-54).
In 1868 a small society of Baptists was formed which first met in a room over the Temperance Hotel in Ulverston Road. Their first minister was a Welshman, the Rev. Mr. Thomas, who came amongst them about this time. They too migrated to the old chapel at the top of Skelgate which the Primitives no longer required, and they subsequently met for a short time in the Assembly Room of the Wellington Hotel. In 1872 their present chapel, the commodious iron edifice in Broughton Road, was opened. That so many different sects of Nonconformists are represented in so small a town is remarkable. This probably is accounted for in part by the mixed character of the population. Besides the, original inhabitants of the district it is well known that many of the Daltonians are Cornish and Welsh folk. There are also a few Manx, Irish, and Scotch. The founding of the Baptist church is due, partly, to the Welsh, who gave towards the erection of the present building on condition that one sermon should be preached there every Sunday in the Welsh tongue, a claim which has been relinquished since the society of the Welsh Calvinist Church was formed.
The following table is submitted for reference. The return of members of society is the number enrolled on the books of the different churches in May, 1882 :
Name of church Number of
of the Chapel.
Wesleyan Methodists 225 650 Congregational Church 174 300 Primitive Methodists 110 252 Bible Christians 92 500 Baptists 91 340 Welsh Calvinists 34 180
from Mannex's directory of Furness & Cartmel, 1882
Original registersThe Cumbria Record Office, Barrow hold:
- Marriages 1900-1924.
- this church marked on a Google map. (Use this to report a corrected location)
- Google Streetview (Drag pegman to centre of map to show picture)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Google maps showing nearby churches with satellite image option.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches themselves.
Help requiredThe information provided has been obtained from a number of sources and although every effort is made to avoid errors, just a few may be present. So if there are any please let us know. [Use the link at the bottom of this page].
If you have any further information about the church that you think would be useful to other researchers then do get in touch.