LITHERLAND, a township, a chapelry, and a subdistrict in Sefton parish, West Derby district, Lancashire. The township lies on the coast, on the Southport and Liverpool railway, and on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 4 miles N by W of Liverpool; and contains the hamlet of Seaforth and a portion of Waterloo, each of which has a station on the railway and a post office under Liverpool. Acres, 1,914; of which 7 5 are water. Real property, £19,961. Pop. in 1851, 2,252; in 1861, 3,632. Houses, 597. The increase of pop. arose from proximity to the harbour of Liverpool, and to the extension of trade there. The manor belongs to the Earl of Sefton; and much of the land, to him, and to the Right Hon. W. E. Gladstone. Seaforth Hall and Seaforth House are chief residences; but a great many fine villas are in Seaforth and Waterloo, and command charming views of the Mersey. The chapelry was constituted in 1842, and includes but a portion of the township; the rest of which is in the two chapelries of Waterloo. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £87.* Patron, the Rector of Sefton. The church is a handsome structure of white stone; and consists of nave, aisles, transepts, and chancel, with tower and spire. There is a national school. The sub-district contains all the township, and also five other townships of Sefton. Acres, 6,269. Pop., 5,084. Houses, 836.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- St Andrew, Stanley Rd, Church of England
- St John and St James, Monfa Rd, Bootle, Church of England
- St Paul, Hatton Hill Rd & Sonning Ave, Church of England
- St Philip, Orrell Lane, Church of England
- Litherland Park, Wilson's Lane, Wesleyan Methodist
- English Martyrs, School Lane, Roman Catholic
- Our Lady Queen of Peace, Kirkstone Road West, Roman Catholic
- St Elizabeth of Hungary, Webster St, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Litherland area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Sefton South. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Down Litherland to another place. Sefton. maps of Litherland and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ339978 (Lat/Lon: 53.472757, -2.997336), Litherland which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.